Sunday, July 1, 2007

First Sock!


Ta da! Just finished this one last night ... I'm surprised how quick a knit it is, considering how fine the yarn is. Well, part of the reason it's so quick is because I decided to just do an ankle sock.

While it obviously needs blocking, it didn't turn out too badly. I did the 'knit one, slip one" thing on the heel to give it the ribby look. Why do handmade socks look so much fatter in the middle than bought socks? This one looks a bit like a parrot fish I encountered while snorkeling in Cozumel ... don't the toe decreases look like a fish smiling?

I consulted a pattern for the toe decrease. This one says to decrease down to an 8 stitch point, which is very like the baby socks I've made. All you do is cut a 6" tail and pull it through the last 8 stitches, tie off and weave in. I've seen other socks that go straight across at the toe, but as my toes are more pointy, this style works better for me. I can see that I'm going to have to be fastidious about my pedicures if I don't want my big toe poking a hole through ... I'd be some choked, after all that knitting!

No comments: