Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Garter Yoke Cardi

Although you haven't heard from me for awhile, I have been getting some knitting done! The above is the Garter Yoke Cardi from the Fall/Winter 2008 knit.1 magazine. The yarn is the now discontinued (grrr!) Jaeger Extra Fine Merino Aran, which I heart, big time, mainly because it's wool and it doesn't give me the itchy, sneezies. The stitch definition is to die for! The colour is most accurate in the above photo -- a deep, rich plum.

As you can see, I've finished the body and have begun one of the sleeves. There seems to be a line of demarcation where I had the stitches on 'hold' -- I'm really hoping it disappears in the blocking process.

Love the curvy shaping! All in all, this has been an easy knit thus far -- and even better, it fits!!!
I ordered some buttons from Ram Wools in Winnipeg in an antique silver colour, which I think will be the perfect finishing touch.

Here's one of the yarns I bought at Ram Wools when I was out visiting my BFF in Winnipeg. 'Tussah' silk, by Hand Maiden! I was actually going with the express purpose of buying seasilk, but wasn't thrilled with the colour choices -- then, I spotted this rich, autumny lovely and was hooked! It's aran weight and about 300 yards, so I'm thinking a lace scarf. It's actually a HUGE skein when it's wound up -- almost 8" across! I'm forcing myself to finish the cardigan first, before I embark on this project and yes, it's killing me!

It's been a tough start to '09, with my m-i-l passing away on December 31st and now, my f-i-l on January 30th. He had been feeling so much better and was looking forward to getting out of the hospital and starting over in a beautiful, new assisted living residence. However, the pneumonia returned and sadly, he succumbed to congestive heart failure. I am so thankful for all of the photos I insisted on taking of reluctant parties, as now they are so meaningful for those of us who remain and remember.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your family members that passed away. ((hugs))

The sweater is amazing!

Tara said...

I love your cardigan, Kerry! The colour is positively scrumptious. :)

Virtuous said...

Keep your sweet memories close!

And GREAT progress on the cardi and fiberlicous yarn!

mames said...

sorry to hear of the losses in your family, you have my thoughts and prayers.

the cardi i great, i actually just thumbed thru that pub and saw it. i am thinking i need a basic cardi, especially as i shiver here in our 50 degree weather. brrrr.

Jackie said...

So sorry to hear about your family members.

I love the colour of your cardi.

God bless.