Saturday, May 23, 2009

Good-bye my sweet, special boy ...


On Thursday, we had to make the horrible decision to say 'good-bye' to our beloved Brinkley, one week after his 9th birthday.

It all happened suddenly (shockingly so). One minute he was fine, laying on the floor with the grandbaby and then the next minute, not fine at all. After doing some x-rays, it was discovered that there were other cancer masses and one of them which attached to his spleen, had ruptured. It would have been terribly selfish of me to put him through surgery again, with a not very optimistic outcome, so we made the decision to put him down.

I am devastated.

8 comments:

Kaylyn said...

Oh, Kerry. I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Audrey said...

I am so sorry for your loss Keri. I know how hard it is to make that decision, and say good-bye to a much loved member of the family. Know in your heart that you made the right choice for Brinkley.

Audrey

Rachel said...

Oh you poor thing! I'm so sorry to hear about that - pets are so special to us.

((Hugs))

Gail said...

Kerry, I am so sorry for your loss and know how much it must hurt to lose this special part of your family. I wish I could do more, please know I am thinking of you. ((hugs))

Virtuous said...

Kerry I am sooo sorry for the sudden loss of Brinkley. Please try and take comfort in the joyous memories you have right now.

mames said...

oh, kerry, i am so sorry. you have my thoughts and my hugs.

Tara said...

So very sory, Kerry. I know exactly what you're going through. I put my dog down in 1997, and I'm still not over it! I haven't had a dog be "mine" since. Take care!

Austysmum said...

Soooo sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful dog. My own dog Asteryx was lost to cancer in 2006, when after months of dressing his wound 3 times a day he could no longer stand up easily on the cancer ridden leg, so we too had to make that awful decision to say goodbye. I remember holding him tight and smiling at him as I thanked him for ten wonderful years as the needle went in - I wanted the last thing he saw to be me smiling at him, as that was the one thing he strived for every day of his life - to make me smile. It sounds like Brinkley had an equally wonderful life, full of love. And that is everything to him.